The New Cross Fire

New Cross Fire‘13 Dead and Nothing Said’

compiled from various sources – 4WardEver UK 23rd December 2008
Updates listed at the foot of this item

The New Cross Fire was a devastating house fire which killed 13 young black people during a birthday party in New Cross, southeast London on Sunday January 18, 1981. The black community were shocked by the indifference of the white population, and accused the London Metropolitan Police of covering up the cause, which they suspected was an arson attack motivated by racism; the protests arising out of the fire led to a mobilisation of black political activity.

Nobody has ever been charged in relation to the fire. The party was a joint birthday celebration for Yvonne Ruddock (who died) and Angela Jackson (who survived) and was held at 439 New Cross Road, going on throughout the night.

There was a fairly high degree of racial tension in the area and far right groups including the National Front were active; there had been early complaints about noise from the party. The initial police suspicion was on the basis that the party had been bombed either as a revenge attack or to stop the noise.

On the Sunday after the fire (January 25), a mass meeting was held at the Moonshot Club in New Cross, attended by over a thousand people.

The meeting concluded with a march to the scene of the fire and a demonstration there, which blocked New Cross Road for several hours. The New Cross Massacre Action Committee was set up and organised weekly mass meetings in New Cross which saw increasing participation as the police investigation announced that there was no evidence of arson and that the fire was believed to be accidental.

On Monday March 2 the Action Committee organised the ‘Black People’s Day of Action’, when 20,000 people marched over a period of eight hours from Fordham Park to Hyde Park with slogans including ‘Thirteen Dead and Nothing Said’, ‘No Police Cover-Up’ and ‘Blood Ah Go Run If Justice No Come’.

The march was overwhelmingly peaceful but The Sun newspaper reported it with the headline “Day the Blacks Ran Riot in London”. References in other newspapers were typically cursory mentions. The press indifference or hostility led to increasing division between the black and white communities.

The inquest into the deaths saw criticism of the police, although some witnesses admitted having lied in their statements. The coroner’s summary for the jury was heavily directed towards suggesting the fire was accidental, and the jury returned an open verdict which implied agreement. The victims’ families challenged the procedure and while the High Court agreed that the summing-up was inaccurate, it refused to overturn the verdict.

In 2002 a new action in the High Court led to an order for a second inquest, which was held in 2004. The second inquest also resulted in an open verdict, but in the intervening period more information had been discovered in police files and advances in forensic science had removed some of the uncertainty about how the fire had broken out.

While there are still some who believe the fire to have been a result of arson, the belief that it was an accident is becoming increasingly accepted – although the criticisms of the initial police investigation and the public indifference are maintained.

The tragedy was commemorated in a number of reggae songs and poems at the time, including Johnny Osbourne’s ’13 dead and nothing said’, Benjamin Zephaniah’s ’13 dead’ and Linton Kwesi Johnson’s ‘New Crass Massakkah’.


Follow-up News:

1981: Nine die in New Cross house fire
(On This Day: BBC)

13 Die In New Cross Fire – 30th Anniversary
January 2011

‘I don’t think I can die before I find out what happened to my son’
15 May 2001

Deptford: back to the beginning
14 May 1981

The names of the 13 fire victims were:

Humphrey Geoffrey Brown (died January 18, 1981)

Peter Campbell (died January 18, 1981)

Gerry Paul Francis (died January 18, 1981)

Andrew Gooding (died January 18, 1981)

Roseline Henry (died January 18, 1981)

Patricia Johnson (died January 18, 1981)

Patrick Cummings (died January 18, 1981)

Owen Thompson (died January 18, 1981)

Steve Collins (died January 18, 1981)

Lloyd Hall (died January 18, 1981)

Glenton Powell (died January 18, 1981)

Yvonne Ruddock (died January 24, 1981)

Paul Ruddock (died February 9, 1981)

Anthony Berbeck died after falling from the balcony of a block of council flats in South London on July 9 1983. He was at the party and became mentally disturbed following the death of his best friends.

Sponsored Advertisement