Adnan Rafiq

Adnan RafiqYoung prisoner foretold his own death

from various sources – March 2016
submitted by – Halima Iqra Ghafoor

Any news updates on this case will be listed at the foot of this item

22 year old Adnan Rafiq, an inmate from Moseley, Birmingham, died after he was fatally beaten. The young man died in HMP Herell in January 2013 after the assault by a fellow inmate in the prison near Redditch.

Adnan had suffered from multiple injuries such as skull fracture when he was punched kicked and had his head stepped on. Adnan died three days later after his injuries in hospital. Relatives of Adnan – who predicted his own death in a chilling letter to jail bosses – spoke of their grief after an official report found more could have been done to help him.

Adnan predicted his own death as he feared of the consequences of staying in the prison where he had a conflict. He was waiting to stand trial over allegations for burglary at the time when he was attacked. The Prisons and Probations Ombudsman, Nigel Newcomer, believed “Staff should have been aware of the potential risk to the man and more should have been done to protect him”.

The Ombudsman made six recommendations after it emerged the prison took more than two-and-a-half hours to inform police of the attack and three-and-a-half hours to inform the family.

Subsequently, fellow inmate, Barry Mundle age 36 from Wolverhampton, was convicted for Adnan’s murder and jailed for 23 years. It has been discovered the conflict had arisen due to an alleged theft incident in a cell.

Five days after his assault Adnan wrote a letter to the bosses of the prison requesting a transfer.

The letter stated that Adnan felt that he was in danger. He included: “Basically, I was supposed to have been [transferred] to Birmingham due to conflict [at] Hewell. I have told officers several times that my life is in danger [here] due to me having trouble with Coventry prisoners that are all over this jail but nothing seems to be getting done”.  He then added “I was assaulted yesterday [and] suffered a broken nose, broken cheek bone. I have told staff … because next time it could be … fatal.”

From some extracts of the letter we can see how frightened Adnan was and the institution should have acted much more rapidly.  The letter was sent to the head office of reducing Re-offending at HMP Hewell on the 24 of January 2013, four days before the fatal attack.

It was revealed that the letter had remained unopened for several days as the Head of Reducing Re Offending was not on duty and was due to return January. The Ombudsman recommendations confirmed that the prison had took more than two and a half hours to inform police of Adnan’s attack and three and a half hours to inform his family. The police were also concerned that important evidence was lost in the intervening period before they were called.

The Ombudsman said; “The man’s complaint should have been directed elsewhere or returned to the man. Hewell reviewed its complaints system after the man’s death.

“It has been said Adnan was assaulted at the prison five days before the fatal attack and more could have been done to investigate the circumstances and stop it from happening again.

“Unfortunately the man’s family feel as they were not treated appropriately with dignity and respect by the prison as they were not informed of their son’s death as fast as they should have been. It is important that prison managers deal with bereaved families in such circumstances with sensitivity and respect.”

This case is not the first case which has occurred for deaths in custody and it is important prison manager’s deal with bereaved families in such circumstances with sensitivity and respect.

A Prison Service spokesperson said: “We do not tolerate violence of any kind in prison. As with all inquests, we will review the findings carefully, and our thoughts remain with Adnan’s family and friends during what must be a very difficult time.”

In the wake of the report, Jamaal Yasin wrote on Facebook: “Miss you so much I wish I could see you again R.I.P Uncle Adnan.” This was a message from Adnan Rafiq’s nephew demonstrating Adnan’s family are grieving and miss him enormously.

A second comment reads: “Inshallah  justice will be done!!!” This comment means “If Allah (God) wills” justice will be done.  The family of Adnan want justice in his name. All lives matter, therefore support and care should be given to all inmates. Prison services must improve.


Follow-up News:

Prisoner murdered by fellow inmate predicted own death in letter to jail bosses
12 April 2015

Adnan Rafiq prison death: Relatives tell of their grief
10 April 2015

Inquest opens into death of man who died after being attacked at HMP Hewell
10 March 2015

Prisoner sentenced for “sustained and ferocious” murder of fellow HMP Hewell inmate
15 November 2013

Prisoner ‘killed in revenge attack’
21 October 2013

Review and download from our wide range of fact sheets, resources and information compiled from various sources. We update this content as often as possible. Do you have something to share? Drop us a line!
Sponsored Advertisement

Website powered by WordPress | Goodnews Theme by Momizat Team | Developed and managed by First Stop Web Design

Shop & Support

National Mikey Powell Memorial Family Fund Appeal

National Mikey Powell Memorial Family Fund (Copy)

The fund is the first permanent national resource of its kind for those affected by deaths and abuses in custody

Click here to visit funding page

Get Our Email Alerts

Get Our Email Alerts

Sign up today for FREE to receive our 4WardEverUK quick news alerts and monthly e-newsletter via email.

Thank you, your sign-up request was successful! Please check your email inbox to confirm.