Anthony Patrick Nolan

Man was wrongly jailed in 1998 and died in prison in 2009

all credits – MOJUK
original article published: 31 December 2009

News updates listed at the foot of this item

Anthony had always protested his innocence and kept fighting over the years, he was found dead in his cell just three days before Christmas.

The press release (below) from the Ministry of Justice is bland and does not tally with the phone calls MOJUK has had from prisoners in HMP Kingston, who more than suspect that prison negligence, contributed to Anthony’s death. Anthony felt strongly that the British Justice system had failed him, he wrote in 2003, “One explanation may be the fact that I am of Irish origin and we know how the Irish community have in the past suffered at the hands of British injustice.”

Hopefully the prisoners in HMP Kingston will piece together, what happened in the preceding hours/days before his death and will let those outside know the truth.

John O for MOJUK

Ministry of Justice Press Release

HMP Kingston prisoner Anthony Patrick Nolan (DOB 23/08/1960) was discovered in his cell at 8.15am on Tuesday 22 December. Prison staff tried to resuscitate Mr Nolan, but he was pronounced dead at 11.14am. The cause of death is not yet known.

As with all deaths in custody, the Prisons and Probation Ombudsman will conduct an investigation.

MOJUK reproduced below Anthony’s original statement, a longer unedited revised version can be accessed @

I am Anthony Nolan aged 42. On the 4 July 1998, I was arrested and subsequently charged with murder. I was alleged to have shot and killed a Patrick Delaney in Kentish Town, London. Mr Delaney was shot and killed in broad daylight which was witnessed by several people.

At police interviews, I responded to all questions with “no comment.” and made no statement. At the time of the murder, I was with my mother in her house which was close to the killing of Delaney.

Following my arrest, I later agreed to attend an identification parade; I had nothing to hide and didn’t believe that it was me who could be selected as the person responsible. I was later convicted of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment and given a tariff of 20 years. There was no forensic evidence against me, no admissions by me and no statements from me.

The BBC’s Rough Justice took up my case and instructed a QC who prepared grounds of appeal and indeed later argued them at the Court of Appeal. Rough Justice were to drop me after my appeal, no doubt because my case no longer had any interest for them, the appeal had failed and the killer of Tsagne was still on the loose and I remained convicted of Delaney’s murder.

My fight continues and now I am in the process of lodging an application under Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights at the ECHR, that my right to a fair trial was violated. My submission will only be on Article 6, though several of my rights under ECHR have been violated.

The British Justice system has failed me in its quest for a conviction. Since my conviction the BBC have run a feature on unsolved murders which included Gideon Tsagne, the witness shot and killed whilst I was in prison.

His murder has been attributed amongst other things to drugs and Yardies both of which I have no history of being associated with. One explanation may be the fact that I am of Irish origin and we know how the Irish community have in the past suffered at the hands of British injustice.

In Struggle, Anthony Nolan
HMP Kingston, Monday 3rd February 2003


Follow-up News:

Statement of Anthony Patrick Nolan (2003)
7 March 2016

Convicted murderer Anthony Nolan found dead in prison
15 January 2010

Man jailed for murder cleared over suspect police confession
10 November 2006

Sponsored Advertisement