Ian Tomlinson

Ian TomlinsonMan dies after unprovoked London G20 police assault

visit website

from various sources
4WardEver – 28th Dec 2009

Updates on this case will be listed at the foot of this item

Ian Tomlinson, a 47-year-old newspaper seller, died on 1st April 2009 after being assaulted at least once by officers policing the G20 demonstrations in London. He had been trying to walk home from work when he was confronted by police, hit with a baton and thrown to the ground.

Dramatic footage obtained by the Guardian shows that the Ian was attacked from behind and thrown to the ground by a baton–wielding police officer in riot gear.

Two days later Home Office pathologist Dr Freddy Patel concluded Tomlinson had died of a heart attack. Patel had previously been reprimanded by the General Medical Council (GMC) after he released medical details about a man who died controversially in police custody.

A second post-mortem examination has sensationally revealed that the newspaper seller hit by a policeman at the recent G20 protests died from internal bleeding, and not a heart attack as previously thought.

Film footage reveals that as Ian was walking with his hands in his pockets, he does not speak to the police or offer any resistance. A number of officers, some with dogs are others in riot gear, are close behind urging him forward.

A Metropolitan police officer appears to strike the victim with a baton, hitting him from behind on his upper thigh. Moments later, the same policeman is seen rushing forward pushing Ian in the back sending him flying to the ground. Bystanders help him to his feet.

The submission to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) included a collection of testimonies from witnesses, along with the video footage which shows Tomlinson at Royal Exchange Passage.

This is the account of the incident resulting in Ian Tomlinson’s death as given by The Ian Tomlinson Family Campaign:

1 April 2009 – G20 protest in London with large scale policing operation in place.

19.00 – 19:20 approximately
Media accounts, video footage and observations of the family of Ian Tomlinson show that he leaves Monument underground station, where he was assisting an Evening Standard newspaper vendor called Barry, at about 7pm to make his way home.

He is first blocked at the top of King William Street by a line of police officers. He can be seen talking with police officers and pedestrians before sitting on a wall by some railings.

He then makes his way down Lombard Street before being stopped by a second line of officers. He then attempts to navigate his way through Change Alley, where he apparently encounters a third police road block where he is turned away.

Read the full account here >


Follow-up News:

See the most recent coverage from The BBC
No specified dates (includes 2011 inquest)

The Ian Tomlinson case shows why the police cannot investigate themselves
12 August 2013

Film: Ian Tomlinson’s family threatens civil action
20 July 2012

Ian Tomlinson death: PC cleared
19 July 2012

Ian Tomlinson ruling: we must all fight this whitewash
23 July 2010

Ian Tomlinson’s family accuse police of cover-up over his death
6 August 2009

Second post-mortem reports ‘abdominal haemorrhage’
18 April 2009

New evidence of police violence at G20 protest
17 April 2009

Sponsored Advertisement