Andrew Jordan

Andrew JordanJustice for Andrew

Mikey Powell Campaign
Originally published 10th September 2004
Updates on this case will be listed at the foot of this item

Andrew Jordan from Erith was 28 years old. He was married with a four year old daughter. Although he had a history of mental illness, he had “no history of violence or criminal activity” say his family. He died on 7th October 2003 after up to 10 police officers burst into his house. He died with two black eyes, cuts to both his eyes and a damaged nose.

This had followed a home visit by staff from Oxleas NHS Trust, including a psychiatrist, who called at his home to escort Mr Jordan into hospital to reassessment. But on that fateful day, the Oxleas staff that knocked at his house to take him to hospital never went in after arriving at his door. Instead, up to 14 police officers were called.

About four hours later, Andrew was carried out of his home, apparently unconscious, dressed only in his underwear. After being carried out of the house he was laid on the concrete path. At this point Andrew had not received any form of medical treatment for his injuries. Shortly after reaching Queen Mary’s Hospital, Sidcup, in an ambulance under police escort, Andrew was pronounced dead.

Now his family are demanding answers to the many questions surrounding Andrew’s death. They want to know how and why he died. They want to know why Oxleas staff arrived at his home at about 10.45am accompanied by two police officers, as well as the ambulance, to take him to hospital.

Mr Jordan has stated that Oxleas informed the family on 6th October that they wanted to admit Andrew to the Woodlands Unit at Queen Mary’s to reassess him. Despite being available at home, and only living a short distance away from their son, the Jordan’s were never told of any problems in getting Andrew to hospital, and no such problems had ever been reported previously.

The Police Complaints Authority (PCA) originally launched an investigation into Andrew’s death. The family had learnt from a PCA representative that when Oxleas and the two police officers arrived at Andrew’s home, an argument followed. The representative is also alleged to have told the family of Mr Jordan that he was punched in the face three times by one of the police officers.

In a statement, one of the officer’s involved confirmed he had not suffered any injury or harm, despite this, his colleague called for assistance and subsequently between 12 and 14 officers arrived at the house.

A neighbour confirms that at least nine the officers went into the small one-bedroom maisonette. It is alledged that the ambulance, with a police escort, set off, and mysteriously, instead of heading for the nearest accident and emergency department at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, in Woolwich, the ambulance went to Queen Mary’s. The family has been told the ambulance stopped twice on its way to the hospital, and on one stop an attempt was made to resuscitate Andrew.

Completely unaware of what had been going on, the family received a shock telephone call at 2.45pm from a member of Oxleas’ staff to tell them Andrew was dead. A post-mortem examination into the cause of Andrew’s death has so far proved inconclusive and more tests are being carried out.

Almost a year after his death, and due to difficulties with pathologists examinations, Andrew’s body had still not been released to the family for burial. They have had to cope with this despair as well as the fact that several of Andrew’s internal organs have been sent to laboratories across the country for tests.


Follow-up News:

Prone to fatal error
22nd February 2006
A jury’s damning verdict on the death of Andrew Jordan shows lessons have not been learned from past tragedies involving mentally ill people. Andrew Jordan was 6ft tall, a big man with a history of schizophrenia. It took a multi-agency team less than 10 minutes to decide how to deal with him. A group of mental health workers was given the task of approaching his flat, with an ambulance waiting nearby. The two police officers, it was agreed, would stay out of sight.

Andrew Jordan inquest verdict (pdf file)
27th January 2005

Review and download from our wide range of fact sheets, resources and information compiled from various sources. We update this content as often as possible. Do you have something to share? Drop us a line!
Sponsored Advertisement

Website powered by WordPress | Goodnews Theme by Momizat Team | Developed and managed by First Stop Web Design

Shop & Support

National Mikey Powell Memorial Family Fund Appeal

National Mikey Powell Memorial Family Fund (Copy)

The fund is the first permanent national resource of its kind for those affected by deaths and abuses in custody

Click here to visit funding page

Get Our Email Alerts

Get Our Email Alerts

Sign up today for FREE to receive our 4WardEverUK quick news alerts and monthly e-newsletter via email.

Thank you, your sign-up request was successful! Please check your email inbox to confirm.