source: BBC News
published: 19 October 2020
The home secretary is to consider the case for a public inquiry into the 1974 Birmingham Pub Bombings.
The blasts at the Mulberry Bush and Tavern in the Town pubs on the night of 21 November killed 21 people and injured 220.
For the next 31 years those bombings would be the deadliest attacks ever carried out in mainland England. They were surpassed in their carnage only by the London bombings of July 7 2005.
Their families have long called for a public inquiry into what happened. Priti Patel said she “recognised the desire to see those responsible [being finally] brought to justice”.
Fresh inquests last year ruled the victims were unlawfully killed, but did not establish who was responsible.
Those hearings came about after years of campaigning by families for a full account into what happened that night.
Julie Hambleton, who lost her sister Maxine in the pub bombings, said the Justice for the 21 group believed an inquiry was the only way to establish “truth, justice and accountability” for the victims.