Deepcut barracks staff ‘guilty’ over private’s death, inquest told

Private Sean Benton
Private Sean Benton

source: Belfast Telegraph
published: 22 March 2018

On June 9 1995, Pte Benton was found with five bullets in his chest, shortly after he had been told he was to be discharged from the Army. He was the first of four young soldiers to die of gunshot wounds at the Surrey barracks between 1995 and 2002.

A fresh inquest into the death of the 20-year-old at Woking Coroner’s Court has heard claims of bullying at the barracks, with allegations made against two of his instructors – Sergeant Andrew Gavaghan and Corporal Martin Holder.

Giving evidence at the hearing Terri Lewis, who was in charge of guard duty in her role as lance corporal, said she witnessed Pte Benton being both physically and mentally abused.

Describing what the young soldier would confide in her, she said: “He would approach me, we would talk about situations that he was feeling particularly down (about), that he wasn’t liking Deepcut, that he felt like he was being bullied, that he was being singled out, that he was being picked on.”

Read full article >

Sponsored Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.