Speaking from her home in the village of Corrego dos Ratos, north of Rio De Janeiro, mother Maria De Menezes, told a national newspaper: “I still can’t believe my son will never walk through our door again. “He went to Europe to work and save money. He was a good boy. Never in trouble. “We hear about al-Qaeda and it all seems so far away.”
His cousin Alex Perieria, 28, confirmed the family were considering suing the Met.
Writing in the Guardian (Saturday 23rd July 2005), Osama Saeed of the Muslim Association of Britain says, “I’ve found it strange that many Muslim leaders have offered to look deep within our community now. It’s a tacit admission of negligence that I simply do not accept. The prime minister has of course welcomed this attitude.
Indeed he has led from the front, ratcheting up the rhetoric against Muslims, laying the responsibility solely on us. …By putting the onus on Muslims to defeat terror, the prime minister absolves himself of responsibility.”
Despite expressing regret for the death of Jean de Menezes, Metropolitan police Chief Sir Ian Blair had stated “somebody else could be shot.” Mysteriously, he adds that “everything is done to make it right”. He must understand that nothing can make this sort of killing right. It’s his job to make sure that his officers don’t assassinate members of the public. If he can’t do it, he should resign.
The Menezes family Q&A on Inquest Verdict
12 December 2008
No charges for de Menezes field officers
11 May 2007
De Menezes death becomes film drama
13 February 2007
Timeline of events leading to De Menezes’s death
Grieving crowds salute De Menezes’s coffin
29 July 2005
Home Office slated over shot Brazilian
29 July 2005